Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sewing without paper


Yes, my friends, the following blog post involves some sewing projects that have nothing to do with foundation piecing! It's true! I bet you thought it would never happen again. Truth be told I'm getting kinda tired of all the paper piecing myself and thought I would share a little recreational sewing - a just for fun kind of thing. A novelty to be sure.

I have made a few of these Divided baskets recently from a pattern by Anna Graham (Noodlehead) . This basket whipped up super fast and easy. This is really a fun pattern - so much so I wanted to make a couple more after this first one was done.




Also I needed a 'Fall' themed swap item for this month CMQG guild meeting so I decided to make an extra one. This one seems fallish no?

And finally, ok ok some paper was involved.  I wanted to make this one all scrappy but with hexies.  So I employed some English paper piecing ( a little different from Foundation piecing) on the pocket portion of the last basket.
This one is going to be my new knitting basket ~  by the fireside ~ one day when it's cold and rainy again, not 90 like it is right now.  It has all my favorite fabrics.  Marmalade and Scrumptious (thank-you Amanda) by Camille Roskelley are playing well with Lakehouse (Holly Holderman) and other fabrics (by Tasha Horsley) and the natural linen.

Turns out, mini-charm packs are perfect for 1" hexies ~ just a public service announcement for your information.

The last too are missing the divider on purpose.  I found I needed a larger basket more than a divided one.The cotton webbing for the handles is an acquisition from my visit to Bolt during the MQG meet-up in Portland last month. 

And that's all for today folks.  Happy Sewing!




10 comments:

Lisa Lisa said...

I seriously can't wait to receive that fall basket at the swap! Oh wait....I wasn't supposed to say anything, was I? Your baskets are beautiful!!

Angie from Dear Spring Green said...

Gorgeous! I am about to make two for two new babies coming into the world! I LOVE your hexie version!

margaret said...

what a great basket, well collection of baskets. Might just have to buy the pattern. You mention no foundation piecing, just as well as I have not got my head around that technigue yet but like the EPP method, it seems to be very popular at the moment

Anonymous said...

The fall basket is definitely fallish :) and beautiful.

And a knitting basket sounds like the perfect use for these bags.

Great work. Now I feel like making one.

knottygnome said...

i love all of your baskets but that hexie one is super sweet. it'll be a great knitting basket for sure.

Marie said...

Great baskets - I particularly like the hexie version but wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them. Looks like you had fun with them.

Megan said...

So cute! These have been on my to-do list for a long time... I'm going to have to get on it!

Jessica B. said...

Sometimes I forget you can sew without paper piecing. :P I have been looking for some good bags for my cross stitch and knitting supplies, and these would be perfect. I will definitely have to check out the pattern. And I adore the yellow fabric with the birds in the second picture. Any idea who the designer is or where you purchased it? (It may say somewhere, but if it does, I missed it.)

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

The yellow fabric is Aviary 2 by Joel Dewberry. Thanks for all your sweet words :) xoxo Caroline

ChristaQuilts said...

Cute bags! I'm trying to get one finished in time for sewing summit, but it may or may not happen, LOL!!